In Need of Assistance?

The National Center on Family Homelessness conducts research, evaluates programs, develops innovative technical assistance products, and conducts trainings across the country. We do not provide housing or direct services to individuals. Information and other resources for individuals seeking assistance are below.

Child Care

To find local child care, contact Child Care Aware, toll-free, at 1-800-424-2246 or visit

Child Support

To receive child support advice for single mothers from the US Department of Health and Human Services, call the hotline at 1-877-696-6775.

Prescriptions: For information on discount prescriptions, call 1-888-477-2669 or visit


For help enrolling your child in school, visit the National Center for Homeless Education at

Emergency Assistance

For a listing of resources in your community visit Or call United Way's First Call for Help by dialing 211 or visiting


To access food stamps or to find toll-free state-by-state hotlines, visit

Government Benefits

To find government benefits (e.g. Medicaid) call the federal information line, toll-free, at 1-800-333-4636 or visit

Health Care

For a directory of Health Care for the Homeless Clinics visit


To access information on housing programs and vouchers or to find toll-free state-by-state hotlines, visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at

For a more comprehensive list of resources, providers and agencies, please visit the Homelessness Resource Center.